About Blood Specialist Clinic
Blood Specialist Clinic provides specialist care for patients with haematological conditions.
We evaluate and manage patients with blood disorders such as
- bleeding or clotting disorders eg. ITP (immune thrombocytopenia), DVT (deep vein thrombosis)
- hypercoagulable states (ie “thick blood”) eg Protein C deficiency, Factor V Leiden
- myeloproliferative disorder
- anemia, low platelets, low white cells
- enlarged lymph nodes or spleen
- blood cancers including myeloma, lymphoma, leukemia and myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS)
The range of clinical services available in our clinic include:
- Comprehensive Diagnostic Programmes for evaluating diseases of blood and blood forming organs including
- Specialized investigations such as immunophenotyping, molecular haematological tests, HLA typing
- Bone Marrow examinations
- Thalassemia testing
- evaluation of hypercoagulable states eg Protein C/S/Antithrombin III deficiency, Factor V Leiden mutation
- Administration of chemotherapy and targeted therapies such as monoclonal antibody treatments
- Intravenous iron replacement for iron deficiency states
- Anticoagulation therapy
- Patient education on haematological conditions
- counselling of patients and caregivers on disease and side effects of treatment
Dr Lim Lay Cheng –Consultant Haematologist – provides specialist consultation for patients with haematological problems.
Dr Lim has over 15 years of experience in managing patients with problems relating to blood such as blood clotting – thrombosis and bleeding issues, and haematologic malignancies such as lymphoma, myeloma, myeloproliferative disorders. She has expertise in investigating and managing patients with abnormal blood results from anemia to polycythemia, leucopenia to leucocytosis, thrombocytopenia to thrombocytosis, iron deficiency to iron excess.
She graduated from National University of Singapore in 1986 and trained at Singapore General Hospital (SGH) obtaining specialist accreditation in Haematology in 1997 and in Palliative Medicine in 2011. Prior to current practice, Dr Lim was Senior Consultant at Dept of Haematology, Singapore General Hospital (SGH) and Adjunct Assistant Professor, Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School. She underwent postgraduate medical fellowship training at University of Utah, USA and had been awarded the Paul E Stranjord Young Investigator Award in 1995 by Academy of Clinical Laboratory Physicians and Scientists, USA, for work on mantle cell lymphoma. In 2004, she was conferred Doctor of Medicine (MD) by National University of Singapore for her work on acute leukemia. She has published extensively in areas of coagulation and thrombosis disorders as well as haematology-oncology.
Dr Lim Lay Cheng
Our specialist is experienced in managing adults with common and rare blood disorders and provides consultative services for
- Blood Clotting Disorders eg. deep vein thrombosis (DVT), Pulmonary Embolism
- Bleeding Disorders eg ITP
- Blood cancers eg myeloma, lymphoma, leukaemia, myelodysplastic syndrome
- Cytopenias eg anaemia, leucopenia, thrombocytopenia
- Myeloproliferative disorders
- Monoclonal gammopathies eg myeloma, primary amyloidosis
- Pregnancy related haematological problems
Clinical Services available at our Clinic include
- Administration of chemotherapy and monoclonal antibody infusions
- Intravenous iron replacement
To facilitate paperwork and registration, we suggest you arrive 15minutes before your appointment time.
- relevant medical records
- radiologic films with reports, pathology reports
- current medications
Depending on complexity of problem, the first consultation may last 30minutes to 1 hour.
Following that, there may be a need for tests to evaluate your condition further and help formulate care pathway. These may include blood tests, XRays, Scans (eg Ultrasound, CT scan, MRI or PET scan), bone marrow biopsy.
We invite you to bring along family and friends for support.